Home » Audience

Audience

An audience is a person or group who will read the paper. Every paper have an intended reader, and the audience may vary from a specific individual or group to vast unknown people. Depending on the audience, how an article is written changes to make the document as effective as possible.

Before taking this class, I didn’t care much about the audience. I didn’t analyze the audience for my writing before. However, it isn’t only about who’s supposed to read, but how they’ll read. Writing to someone for work differs from writing for a mass group of people. I learned to analyze the audience I am writing to and write according to it.

For example, to analyze the audience, I would use the audience analysis sheet (or audience profile sheet).

Figure 1. Engineering Proposal Audience Analysis

Throughout the course, for any writing assignments, I had to analyze the audience I am writing to, including the person’s job or position, level of education, characteristics, expectations, and other factors that might matter in order to get the most out of my writing. For example, while working on the engineering proposal, our group wrote about installing turbines on the California coast, and our audience was the mayor of San Francisco, so we did research on him and wrote an audience analysis profile.